Mission Jamaica 2 – 7/8/16

Good afternoon, everyone! How are you doing today? It’s a beautiful day I’m happy to be alive. I thank God for his new blessings and mercies today.

For the last two weeks I was in Jamaica for another missions trip. I have so many stories and I can’t wait to share them with you. Let’s start at the beginning. (To read about my first missions trip to Jamaica click here.)


Day 1

I woke up bright and early at 4:30. I was pretty excited about going to Jamaica again this summer. I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep, but I figured I could just sleep on the plane. It seemed as though I packed more things than last year, clothes in particular. I could barely close my suitcase, but the important thing is that I had all I needed. There were different thoughts I had going through my mind. First was the fact that the team was almost completely new. Don, Rachel, and I are the only ones from last year going this year. Herman, Herman’s wife, Susie, Emily, Christine, Barry, and Barry’s son, Isaiah, are all going for the first time. It will be interesting to see the dynamics of this team as we work together and get to know each other better. It’s exciting but a little nerve-wracking. Stepping into that role of being a leader and helping those that are here for the first time makes me a little fearful. I want to do everything right. I’m trying not to have that mindset of achieving perfection. No one is perfect, except for Jesus. He is living inside of me and greater is He that’s in me than he who is in the world. I just have to follow His lead and meditate on his word.

This year we wwre traveling from Newark, NJ. After getting checked in at the airport, we had about 2 hours before we started boarding. We had a great time getting to know each other and taking our first selfie. It looks like this will be a great trip. The worry I had before began to subside.

The flight was wonderful. It was just like last year, looking over the blue ocean and seeing the island as we approached. It was so beautiful. 

When we got to Montego Bay, I immediately felt the humidity. I liked it. Give me a heatwave over a snowstorm any day. We went through customs and then went outside to wait for our ride. 

Arden and Pastor Aitcheson met us at the airport. We loaded up the vans. I rode with Pastor Aitcheson while everyone else rode with Arden. It felt like I was home. The scenery was so beautiful. The trees, the water, the goats. We listened to gospel music on our journey from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios and it relaxed me. So much so that in the middle of the ride I fell asleep for awhile. I woke up just as we entered the city. It was like I never left. Soon we made it to Colegate Gospel Tabernacle. Norda, Miguel, Omar, Mother Cooper, Sister Hazel and Sister Betty were there to greet us. It was wonderful seeing them again. We unloaded the van and set up room arrangements. Barry, Isaiah, and I are sharing the same room I had last year. Emily, Christine, and Rachel are staying in the room next to us. Herman, Susie, and Don are staying in the Clarke’s residence, which is on the property. Since there’s nine of us, are meals were in the Clarke’s dining room.

Mother Cooper cooked an amazing dinner for us. It consisted of stewed chicken, coleslaw, vegetables, and rice. Man, it was good! I licked those chicken bones clean. It was savory and not too spicy. I’m so happy to eat Jamaican food again. 

We had planned to do some praise and worship, but everyone was tired from the day’s journey. We all turned in, excited about the next two weeks.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s